When searching for a probate attorney in Lee County NC, it is important to know just what type of roll he will play in helping to settle a final estate. A probate attorney in Lee County NC is responsible for guiding a Personal Representative and the beneficiaries of an estate through the settlement of the estate itself.
A probate lawyer assists and advises the Personal Representative of the estate in the following ways:
- He helps to locate and secure both non probate and probate assets
- Gets together all date of death and property values
- Prepares and files all documentation to the courts before looming deadlines
- Collect the proceeds from the life insurance policies
- Roll over retirement plans and make adjustments
- Advise the family on paying of outstanding bills of the deceased
- Helps to keep track of the checking account associated with the estate
- Determines if any state or federal taxes will be due form the inheritance
Your basic working relationship with a probate attorney can go one of two ways. You can give the attorney full representation, which means he will be handling everything. All you will have to do is sign on the dotted line and consult when needed.
The second way you can handle probate is to take on the responsibility yourself with the lawyer consulting with you when and if you need his council. It is important however; that you talk to the lawyer you retain to determine who is responsible for what in the probate process.
Whichever option you choose, make sure that the probate lawyer you retain is from a reputable firm and willing to help not hinder probate.