What You Should Know About Child Support in Lee County NC

Child support in Lee County North Carolina is the amount of money that a non-custodial parent pays to the parent with physical custody of the child in order to help support the child when the parents live separately. North Carolina parents have the option of agreeing to an informal out-of-court child support arrangement for an agreed-upon amount, or the court can issue a child support order. Additionally, any parent, person, agency, organization or institution who has custody of a minor child, or who is filing for custody, can petition to receive child support in Lee County North Carolina in court.

If you do choose to formally petition the North Carolina court in order to request child support, it can be done either in civil court or through a criminal action. In North Carolina civil court, you may file for child support on your own, with the assistance of a hired lawyer, or through the Division of Social Services (DSS) which will file the child support case on your behalf.

The North Carolina criminal action for child support can be initiated when a parent “willfully” refuses to provide adequate child support, even if no child support order has been issued by the court yet. Willfully refusing to pay child support is a misdemeanor crime in North Carolina. If a parent is convicted of this crime, a family law judge has the option of forcing the parent to transfer property to the custodial parent, garnish the parent’s wages, give the parent a suspended jail sentence that would upon the condition that the person pay child support in a certain amount upon a certain schedule. If the parent fails to follow the order, the suspended jail sentence may be placed into effect.

If you have physical custody of your child and want assistance filing for child support, contact a local child support attorney for more information.