Divorce just may be one of the most emotionally challenging life experiences one can endure. However, if you are considering a do-it-yourself divorce, there is a high likelihood that you may turn an already difficult process into an unbearable one. Hiring an experienced family law attorney in Broadway North Carolina is the single most important first step you can take once you or your spouse has made the choice to end your marriage. Before you make any decisions related to getting a divorce, you should consult with a family law attorney in Broadway North Carolina.
North Carolina divorce law requires that at least one of the parties in a marriage must have resided in the state for at least six months prior to one of the parties filing for divorce. The Divorce Complaint needs to specify the grounds upon which the divorce is being sought. For example, in North Carolina, either party to the marriage may file for divorce under no-fault grounds if the couple has lived separate and apart for at least one year. Otherwise, a divorce must be filed under fault grounds which requires that one of the spouses have committed one of the following acts:
- Abandoned his or her family;
- Maliciously turned the other out of doors;
- By cruel or barbarous treatment endangered the life of the other;
- Offered such indignities to the person of the other as to render his or her condition intolerable and life burdensome;
- Became an excessive user of alcohol or drugs so as to render the condition of the other spouse intolerable and the life of that spouse burdensome; or
- Committed adultery.
Other more complicated legal concerns involve division of marital property, spousal support as well as child custody and support. Proper legal guidance regarding these issues is necessary to ensure your rights are protected, so make sure to hire competent legal counsel.